[meteorite-list] high-end collectors high-end meteorites andrareness

From: Peter Scherff <peterhscherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 11:43:39 -0400

Hi,

I think what we are talking about is connoisseurship. Being a connoisseur has nothing to do with deep pockets. It is about deep understanding. One of the best stories about connoisseurs is the story of Herbert and Dorothy Vogel a postal worker & a librarian. The couple amassed an art collection worth hundreds of millions of dollars on their civil servant salaries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Dorothy_Vogel

Unfortunately in our world today few people have the time to invest in becoming a connoisseur. Connoisseurs can lead the market. Sure, they may compete against one and other to get that special rock (this is where deep pockets help) but dealers may also want to place a sample with a connoisseur. For example a David Weir write up may help draw attention to an otherwise overlooked NWA. That attention may lead to more sales.

When Adam Hupe was marketing NWA 5000 he used a meteorite rating scale that attempted to quantify all the factors that a connoisseur considers when looking at a meteorite. Perhaps someday a rating scale will become common place in the meteorite world. Until then we all need to continue to study meteorites in order to become better connoisseurs.

Thanks,

Peter