[meteorite-list] Huh? PhD has a Meteor? over Houston, TX? Looks like an aircraft contrail to me.

From: Steinar Midtskogen <steinar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 17:35:04 +0100

Meteors, or perhaps more frequently space junk, can move over the
horizon for a few minutes, but what gives this away is that the sun has
just set near the "fireball". It's getting dark on the ground, whilst
the contrail is still in the light of the setting sun making it an
impressive sight. The aircraft might be too far away to be seen.

We see a lot of reports, pictures and videos like this every winter here
in Norway since the short winter days are really a long sunrise and
sunset blended, so such sights are common, and frequently
misinterpreted.

-Steinar

drtanuki via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>