[meteorite-list] Important Announcement form the Nomenclature Committee

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 02:08:16 -0800

Hello All,

In a quick glance at comments tonight, but not reading the link to new rules, I believe starting the new DCA mets with 'coordinates & proof' to be confusing. Why start the DCAs at "NWA 10,000..." when in short time the 'non-proof' mets will reach the tried and true 'NWA' naming system and surpass 10,000? Why not simply add the 'sub group' "DCA" after "NWA"... example... NWA-DCA 0001, NWA-DCA OOO2... and so on....

As for re-evaluating certain classifications for renaming, how about we fix that Al Haggounia problem, it is still not an 'Aubrite'?? NWA 2828 was rewritten in Abstract that the original 'Aubrite' designation was made with original type sample, but after subsequent material was cut chondrules were discovered and the correct science was selflessly announced...

Best regards,
Greg Hupe

Sent from my iPhone