[meteorite-list] 1996-2016 meteorite collectors / dealers

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:49:33 +0000

Hello All,

I came into meteorites from an astronomical background. I started collecting meteorites, moldavites, tektites, and impactites in the early 1980?s. First purchase was a moldavite, then followed an Australasian tektite, and soon after a small, etched Mundrabilla slice. I soon had a hunch I would be hooked for the rest of my life: a Canyon Diablo followed, then an Odessa, an Allende CV3 and Nuevo Mercurio. And, quite logical, lots of books dealing with meteorites to learn more about the subject of my addiction. Among these books the 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions of the Meteorite Catalogue, Buchwald?s voluminous Iron Meteorite trilogy, Sears, Wasson, Burke, etc. Long before the Meteoritical Bulletin Database was accessible online, I had created an extensive electronic database of all meteorites (Antarctic and non-Antarctic) and of all impact structures then known. In 1987 I became a member of the Meteoritical Society, and also got subscribed to the Antarctic Meteorite Newsletter. By 1999 I had started collecting me
teorite thin sections, quite a few of my first thin sections came from Al Mitterling ? among them Allende, Estacado, Hassayampa, Haxtun, etc. There are now 221 thin sections in my collection. Meanwhile my interest has shifted heavily toward moldavites. Last December I owned 29 moldavites, but this number has now grown to 140 of these bottle-green glasses from various localities in Bohemia, Moravia, and Lusatia. A very special honor was bestowed upon me in 2013, when a minor planet of the carbonaceous Hilda family was named after me:

(247553) Berndpauli = 2002 RV234

Best regards, Bernd