[meteorite-list] 1996-2016 meteorite collectors / dealers

From: J Sinclair <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 20:11:37 -0500

Hello All,

20 years.

I noticed while looking at Matt Morgan's web site, he writes
"established in 1996"
The Meteorite Exchange site says "Impacting the Meteorite World Since 1996"

Did anyone else start collecting in '96. If not then... when? and why?
Many dealers and collectors were active before '96 and many more after.

In August 1996 I read on the front page of the local NC (Greensboro
Daily News) newspaper that NASA had found a possible life form in a
Martian meteorite found in Antarctica - Allan Hills 84001. This was
announcing there was life elsewhere in the Universe.

I figured people would want meteorites. I was already selling gems and
minerals at shows and had seen meteorites for sale in Tucson and
Denver. I had meteorites before the end of the year. The fist ones
were mailed from a dealer in Mexico - Tolucas, then Gibeon from the
S.African dealers Karl and Clive. Next was Esquel from Bob Haag. I
nearly sold out the first show I offered meteorites.

It was ALH 84001 that started it for me. How about the rest of you?

See you in Tucson.

John
MeteoriteUSA.com