[meteorite-list] Czech meteorite fragments 20 years

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:17:08 -0400

Hi Mark,
These guys are legit.
http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Spurn%C3%BD
Hope all is well with you.
Carl
Meteoritemax

--
Love & Life
---- Mark Bowling via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote:
> Just to play Devil's advocate, is this desert varnish, or some kind of reaction to a humid, heavily mineralized soil?  Have they been shared with other institutions?  It's implied that they were found buried in the ground.  Perhaps they did find them, and it's some sort of alteration caused by local ard/gossan conditions.
Any geos on there who might know of a mechanism that could cause a similar looking weathering product?  These are just photos, which, more often than not, are very hard to interpret.  I'm partly curious as I've observed some interesting rocks while prospecting high sulfide locations.
Assuming they were genuinely found, in such conditions it may be possible they are 20 years old.  Or they could be much older, and it's just chance that they found some very old, highly-weathered meteorites unrelated to their "impact location".  In such a case, is there a dating method that could determine their true terrestrial age?
Yes Holbrooks are pretty fresh, but they are in a semi-arid location, in sand dunes which probably wick away moisture.  Stones found in the dunes are very fresh, while some in the flats are a lot more rusty.
Anne brings up a good point that diverse types can be found from one event.  I'm not saying that she agrees - odds are they are planted.  But I just want to keep an open mind and keep asking questions.
Another possibility is that one or two team members planted them and kept other members in the dark. They may have documented removal of the last couple found, thus adding more "evidence" that they are legit.  But while they selected similar looking stones, they actually were different types (?).
Anybody know some of these team members and if they are qualified to do this sort of work/have good reputations?  Is this peer reviewed?
Odds are they are kooks or cheats.  But maybe they are on the up and up, but simply have foolishly linked these "finds" to a relatively recent fall(???).
It will be interesting to see what develops!
Mark Bowling