[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 138, Issue 17

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:51:56 -0400

Hi Eric,

I don't think anyone is questioning the integrity of the scientists involved.

Rather, there are two obvious problems that are raised by that single image :

1) the presence of what appears to be desert varnish on the stones - a
process not seen in meteorites from non-desert locales. Weathering in
wet climes typically produces an appearance quite different from the
glossy varnish seen on these stones.

2) the presence of two different petrologic types from the same fall.

In the case of #1, appearances can be deceiving, so that may not be
desert varnish, although it certainly looks like it. Perhaps someone
with expertise in this area can comment (i.e. Dr. Garvie).

In the case of #2, multiple types from the same fall is not unheard
of, but is very rare.

I will read the entire paper though, out of curiosity, and perhaps it
can clarify these points.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - thanks for the link to the paper. :)

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone