[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 138, Issue 15

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:21:44 -0700

Mike, Yes of course I know. All of the reports and the witnesses I spoke with said that this was NOT a sonic boom from an aircraft. One witness x-military AF said not aircraft. One report from TX is 35 miles from Shreveport... a bit far for an aircraft sonic boom to travel. The military claims that is was not them. Pipelines and factories all checked clean. Munition storage AFAWK all negative.
  The only fact we know is that there was a loud pop/ing followed by a rumbling loud boom that lasted up to 15 seconds. Windows rattled on w /NW sides of houses. There was no weather with conditions to produce thunder.
  So for now we have the NWS saying debris trail but odd... 1000 feet to 1500 feet rising; very low and they seem to be indicating, although not saying from a ground event??. And we have Marc saying that the NWS "debris" is not debris and was there in the same location prior to the event.
  Any NOTAMs for the area? at that time? I dont know and didnt check AND very unlikely.
  So this leaves us with an UBO - Unknown Booming Object or UBE - Event. Me thinks that someone knows or should know but are not saying for good reasons.

Dirk...Tokyo