[meteorite-list] Strathmore Meteorite Centenary

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 07:25:18 +0000

Hello Listees (Repost)

2017 marks the Centenary of the Strathmore meteorite fall; Scotland's biggest. To commemorate this occasion, I am at the planning stage of an exhibition which will take place in the National Museums Scotland during that year. Outline permission had already been given and once I have major project on which I am currently extremely busy out of the way, I will be ramping up my efforts. In this modern digital, globalised age I am going to try a new approach in my search for ideas, suggestions or offers of information or objects which might help to extend the scope of the display.

At the moment, as well as a case featuring the re-uniting of the four main fragments of the Strathmore fall, I am looking at cases which will look at other Scottish and possibly UK/Irish meteorites, and also maybe taking a slightly different angle by looking at meteoritic or related material that has been used for other purposes which could include tools, jewellery and so on.

Therefore, I am sending this e-mail out to the list to attempt a sort of "crowd sourcing" exercise to see what comes up. Please be assured that, in terms of objects, I am not looking for permanent donations to the collections (though that would be nice) but loans. I will listen to all offers and all e-mails will be answered. There is no urgency at the moment, but I will be looking to start firming up on my ideas as soon as possible.

Regards

Peter Davidson
Senior Curator of Minerals

Department of Natural Sciences
National Museums Scotland
Chambers Street
Edinburgh
EH1 1JF
+44 131 247 4283
p.davidson at nms.ac.uk

Take a steam-powered journey through our collections at Museum Lates: Retro-future, Friday 16 May at the National Museum of Scotland.

Book now at
www.nms.ac.uk/lates or call 0300 123 6789.

National Museums Scotland, Scottish Charity, No. SC 011130
This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Museums Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.