[meteorite-list] Definitions of types of falls and finds

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 15:59:58 -0700

Hi Mendy,

I concur, change is not needed. I don't believe not finding a witnessed
event constitutes a change. And, with the addition of many many all sky
cams, sonics and radar, falls are going to be the norm in the future.

While sonics could be in question, to answer a 'funny'.....if a meteor
falls in the woods and no one is around to witness it, does it make a
sound?.... Yes if a sonic station hears it! ;)

Besides the fact the definitions have been working a very very long
time, another really obvious reason why change is not needed is many
people who should get their terminology right...don't! And we see it all
the time!

There really should be no time constraint on a fall.

There is no way I would consider Indian Butte, based on evidence
presented, a find. Who has that screw loose? I do like the original
name better though....made more sense to me and fit the addresses (with
zip codes) less than a mile away! And the fact there is an Indian
Butte, AZ not even close to the fall makes it kind of strange.

Jim