[meteorite-list] Meteorite collection of East London Museum in South Africa stolen

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:07:25 +0000

Dear Listees and Karmaka

Thanks for this rather depressing news. I am fearful for the security and safety of collections in South African museums. This is not a story I haven't heard before involving other museums. I hope the perpetrators are caught, but I fear they will not. This can only serve to encourage other to do the same - unfortunately this also means curators and other museum workers.

Cheers

Peter Davidson
Senior Curator of Minerals

National Museums Collection Centre
242 West Granton Road
Edinburgh
EH5 1JA
00 44 131 247 4283
p.davidson at nms.ac.uk

Meteorite collection of East London Museum in South Africa stolen

http://www.dispatch.co.za/news/organised-thieves-steal-museums-space-rocks/
http://www.ecr.co.za/post/valuable-east-london-museum-items-stolen/

Members of the public who may have any information about seven meteorites stolen from the natural history gallery are asked to contact Kevin Cole of the museum. Email kcole at elmuseum.za.org Tel. 043 7430686 http://www.elmuseum.za.org/

stolen specimens:

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/q84/s720x720/1900271_674725839260741_370768172_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1396041_674725869260738_730285397_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-London-Museum/160653220668008