[meteorite-list] The scientific importance of subtype 3.00 meteorites and oxygen isotope analysis

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:39:31 -0700

Thank you so much Karen.

Mendy Ouzillou

On Mar 18, 2014, at 8:08 PM, Karen Ziegler <kziegler at unm.edu> wrote:

Hi Mendy and list,

Here is my input on the oxygen isotopes:

Oxygen isotopes in unequilibrated samples will show a large range of
values, because they do retain their initial oxygen isotope values of
their individual components. Magmatic crystallization temperatures, for
example, will give different minerals-pairs certain fractionations (that
are dependent on the crystallization temperature) (e.g. Friedman & O'Neil,
1977). So, there is a certain expected range of oxygen isotope
compositions in "bulk" samples, depending on how much of each mineral is
in your "bulk" sample.
Once metamorphism sets in, this inter-mineral fractionation decreases more
and more - as temperature goes up. So, you'd expect the range of oxygen
isotope values to shrink/collapse in their range as metamorphism
increases.
The same way you would expect the chemical characteristics, e.g.,
Fe-content, to become more homogeneous, to have a smaller range, with
increasing degree of metamorphism.
O-isotope values per se will not tell you the metamorphic grade, but the
"range" of individual analyses of a given sample will be an indicator of
the degree of metamorphism.

The oxygen isotope values of UOCs depends on how you have selected you
sample. As Jeff said, "oxygen heterogeneity in these objects bulk
samplests will be a function of sample size, as fine matrix grains
equilibrate much more quickly than coarse ones." The proportion of
chondrule to coarse to fine matrix is important ?..
The best way to approach this is to do a detailed
component/mineral-separation of the UOCs, analyze the chondrules vs. the
matrix, analyze the olivines and the pyroxenes, etc. Comparing olivine
O-isotopes, e.g., is much more useful that comparing "bulk" O-isotope
values.

Karen