[meteorite-list] Facebook.... a viable forum?

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 08:00:09 -0700 (PDT)

Discussing whether Facebook is a viable forum versus the MetList is not really the issue. Anyone who has spent time recently on the established meteorite pages on Facebook knows that they are not just viable but thriving. The Met-List is also important as a complementary source of information, discussion and, yes sales and exchanges. Anything that impedes any of these activities will lead to poor participation and flight to explore other more friendly venues.

So, what makes for a viable forum? The answer is good administration. The most successful pages on FB have clearly stated rules that are enforced. Being an admin on two pages, "Meteorites" and "Is it a meteorite?", and the creator of the rules?I can tell you that both of these have grown dramatically over just one year. I've had to deal with all kinds of nasty issues because people are people, but we have learned from these issues and kept things fun for our members. Too much regulations drives people away and too little does too (for different reasons).?

Our community is very small and we can't afford to alienate people regardless of whether they are old curmudgeons or young neophytes especially when the learning curve is so steep.?

Having said this, being an admin is not a small investment in time, so if Art needs to be compensated, I have no issue with a yearly fee or some other payment model. However, please do not penalize dealers with having to pay for ads. As stated previously, defining what is an ad will be hard enough, but these ads are really an important way for collectors to get material. I sit on both sides as a dealer and collector. Stating the obvious, you can't have dealers without collectors and vice-versa (unless all collectors start to hunt in the field).?

Regards,
?
Mendy Ouzillou
IMCA 8395