[meteorite-list] Ungrouped Achondrite Prices (NWA 7325 andothers)

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:00:50 -0700

Almost all CKs are type 4-6; all CVs are type 3. The few CK3s seem to be
CK3/4 or CK3.8 or so. In fact, the only way to recognize a meteorite as CK
at all is if it is sufficiently metamorphosed to have many of the olivines
equilibrated. If not, the rock will be classified as a CV. Since many of
the CK4s and the few CK3s I looked crushed and fragmental, and that many CKs
are shocked (which I showed back in 92), then it seems to me that impacts
are the means of transforming a CV3 to a CK. Because CKs are oxidized, they
clearly are not being made from reduced CVs like Vigarano, Efremovka and
Leoville. Because many of the Bali oxidized subgroup have strong
petrofabrics and CKs don't then the CKs are either being made from the
Allende oxidized subgroup or from a third, heretofore unsampled, oxidized CV
subgroup. Anyway, we recommended dropping the CK designation altogether
(i.e., call rocks CV3, CV4, CV5, CV6), although the CK designation is so
entrenched by this point, that I doubt that this will happen.
So, with this background, you could call it a CV-CK parent body, or simply
just a CV parent body. One final point, how many CV or CV-CK parent bodies
are there? We don't know tha answer to that question for any chondrite
group. There may be only one of some groups represented in our collections,
or there may be several. (Nearly half of the H chondrites have the same CRE
age of about 7.6 Ma), so these samples were all on the same parent body at
that time. Other samples may have been on other H chondrite parent bodies
or at distant locations on the same parent body. We don't know. But since
asteroids tend to b reak into smaller bodies via a collisional cascade, it
may well be that by the time the collision occurred that gave us half of the
H chondrites, the original parent H chondrfite asteroid had already been
broken into several chunks, only one of which was struck at that time. The
same may be true for many kinds of meteorites.)
Alan

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567