[meteorite-list] Facebook.... a viable forum?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:34:49 -0400

Hi Ruben,

I also resisted FB and Twitter for a long time. It just seemed silly
and trivial.

However, I have since become a big fan of both, especially FB. It is
great for networking. I have met some good people who I now consider
friends, and I have also met some new sources of material. A few of
my FB friends are traders and we swap material. It's been a boon for
business as well because it is a great promotional tool.

A couple of tips for new meteorite people on FB :

1) search the groups for meteorite-related groups. There are many,
and some are not so good, but others are very good for discussions
and/or sales.

2) find a few meteorite people who have large friend lists that are
visible. You can farm those lists for new contacts and send friend
requests to them. Many dealers, including myself, keep the visibility
of their friends list on private to prevent this. But if you look
around, you can find the meteorite dealers and collectors this way.

3) If you intend on selling on FB, be very up-front about that fact to
people who "friend" you. Many people do not want to see ads. I
oblige those people by removing them from my friend's list, or warning
them up front that I do post ads in addition to other normal
(non-commercial) posts.

Send me a request - FB name (galacticstone)

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com