[meteorite-list] ADS - slick veiled offers and Donations for the List? (Question for Art)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:39:53 -0400

Hi Listees (and especially dealers and collector/dealers) :

Ruben raised a good point. How will Art decide what is an
advertisement and what is not? It is not difficult to raise a
discussion based around material that a certain dealer or dealers have
for sale. Such posts are basically "organic ads". They are not
explicitly labeled as an advertisement, but they are a veiled offer
with the hopes that someone will click the link and buy something.
The example I give below is a strictly to illustrate my point. The
piece in question is already sold.

For example, I could start a discussion about Darwin Glass like this :

Hi List,

Has anyone ever seen a piece of Darwin Glass with a natural hole in
it? Or how about LDG or Moldavite for that matter? I've seen a lot
of variations of impact glass, but have never seen one with a natural
hole in it. How rare is this and what process is responsible?

Photo of the Holey Darwin Glass -
http://www.galactic-stone.com/product/darwin-glass-tasmanian-impact-glass-w-natural-hole

Best regards....

Let's face it, there are slick and intelligent people on this List
(far smarter than I), and it's not difficult to squeeze an offer into
a discussion post.

Second point : we could have a fundraiser for the List and send the
proceeds to Art. I would gladly participate in that and put up some
specimens for the cause. Also, Art has a button on the Meteorite
Central home page for donations. Does anyone actually click it and
donate? Honestly, until Shawn Alan said something about it yesterday,
I had forgotten that the homepage even existed. I get List emails to
my inbox and rarely visit the homepage. I had not been there in years
and couldn't even remember what it looked like.

Question for Art - how much money would you need per month to offset
the costs of maintaining the List? Maybe if we (Listees) knew what
the damage was (your costs), then we could work to help pay that.

I find the List to be a great resource for knowledge ("torpid" or
not), and would do my small part to help. I post ads regularly, but I
do not make a lot of money from the List. The vast majority of my
sales come from my personal email client list, Facebook, Twitter, and
organic visitors from the web (Google, etc). This List ranks third or
fourth behind my email list and "social media" (FB, Twitter,
Pinterest) in terms of how many sales I make. But, there are some
bigger dealers who have specimens priced at thousands or tens of
thousands of dollars and they make more money from this List in one
sale than I might make in an entire year. IMO, those dealers should
pony up the most.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - I have no problem with paying for ads. I am just curious about
how this will work. And why dealers who make tens of thousands of
dollars per year as a result of ads on this List will be paying the
same fee as smaller dealers who make a few hundred dollars per year
from these same ads. There seems to be a disparity here. I already
send buyers and business to some larger dealers who are friends of
mine and I gladly do it when potential buyers want large or special
specimens that I do not have and cannot get easily. Am I now expected
to subsidize their ads as well?

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone