[meteorite-list] Why isn't Mreira classified as a Fall?

From: Ruben Garcia <rubengarcia85382_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:00:59 -0700

Hi,

When I purchased Mreira months ago I was told by the Moroccan dealers
that it was a witnessed fall. Ok, lets be real, anyone can say
anything in order to make a sale. However, it looks as fresh as any
fall I've ever seen/found.

Photos here:
http://www.mrmeteorite.com/mreirameteorite.htm

Read the write up - it seems to agree that it is indeed a fall.

History: According to Ait Hiba Abdelhad, a fireball was seen in the
afternoon sky on December 16, 2012, several school children saw the
fireball explode and detonations were heard near the village of
Mehaires, Western Sahara. Pieces were recovered approximately 40 miles
south of Mehaires, near Mre?ra, Mauritania, only a few days after the
event. The strewn field is in the area called "Stailt Omgrain", which
is a local nomadic name. This is south of Mehaires and north of the
mountain "Galbe lahmar". Therefore this is a possible fall associated
with the fireball of December 16, 2012.

*******Possible fall? What else do you need? *******

Meteoritical Bulletin for Mreira

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?sea=Mre%C3%AFra&sfor=names&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=All&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal%20table&code=57653

--
Rock On!
Ruben Garcia