[meteorite-list] meteorite-list] List is getting torpid

From: Martin Goff <msgmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:10:29 +0000

Anne,

I think Shawn is referring to the list archives, I also used to use
this method rather than getting every message by email as it came
through. I would have this webpage permanently open on mt laptop and
on my phone and refresh it to see the latest posts. As the number of
posts has reduced drastically i now to the individual emails. Shawn
is correct in saying though that the archives now have a huge delay in
posts appearing so if you dont subscribe to the individual emails then
you wont see all posts and certainly not in real time.

I understand what you say in that not everyone uses facebook or wants
to use it but i have found that much of the meteorite talk happens
there and without it there is a lot that is being missed out on. As
Matt says, you can post any number of photos that can all be commented
on, there are numerous meteorite related 'groups' that you can
subscribe to. I also like the fact that i can mix personal and
meteorite related posts so if i post a photo of my daughter for
example i find that friends from the meteorite community also comment
on the image and so my web of friends has vastly extended. It is very
interactive and there have been some great discussions on meteorites
too. Also there are quite a few meteorite scientists on there too :-)
I have noted quite a posts that have been made to the metlist and then
repeated on one of the meteorite facebook groups. Whilst the metlist
post recieves no replies, the identical facebook post sees numerous
replies and sparks off a great discussion. I would hate to see the
metlist stop and am very appreciative of the time and money Art has
put into it but my 2 cents is it certainly needs to change somehow to
keep up and compete with facebook.

Cheers

Martin

--