[meteorite-list] Question about the chemistry of the Martian atmosphere and Martian meteorites

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 22:03:04 -0700

MikeG,

Really good question! When you look at the data there are actually
few, if any, martian meteorites that are a perfect match for noble gas
isotopes of Viking. They tend to be a mixture of Viking and Earth
atmosphere, and there are spallation effects for Ar-isotopes. It has
been proposed that ALH 84001 contains ancient martian atmosphere that
is different from Viking, especially for Xe. However NWA 7034, which
is also ancient (albeit a breccia), has some of the most Viking-like
noble gas values. This is not my field so I am treading on thin ice
perhaps, but I would say that the picture is still not clear and Earth
contamination is always a factor. Also, it is possible that some of
the atmospheric gases were implanted at the time of impact that
launched the material off Mars (i.e. recent).

Carl Agee
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126