[meteorite-list] Nitric Acid / Ferric Chloride

From: ian macleod <ianmacca81_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:17:55 +1030

Hi Mendy

We have found that Nitric Acid produces a far better result than Fer-Chloride solution

What you may want to try is washing the slice after each etch with a alcohol solution, then etch again. Another modification is warming the etching solution (we have not tried this yet, but may produce better results)

A stir of the solution to agitate the processes like a washing machine does

Personally I would not combine the two, there maybe impurities that will react?

If washing is used between etching, different methods could be used safely

If you want to experiment with direct mixing, take 1 mol of each mix in a clean glass jar with some iron shavings like campo

cheers

Ian 8013