[meteorite-list] Ensisheim Meteorite & Show

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:15:44 -0400

Hello All,

In just a few short days some of us will start making or way to Europe and
congregate at the Ensisheim and Sainte Marie aux Mines shows. I am looking
forward to seeing many of my friends there, Ensisheim has always been my
favorite show when it comes down to pure meteorites, no beads or junk, just
meteorites and fun meteorite people! I am not sure what I am bringing to
offer for sale yet, so if I have anything that you may be interested in,
please send me an email and I will do my best to bring anything of interest.

Here is a little Ensisheim history to get warmed up by...

Ensisheim meteorite...

...a meteorite whose descent from the sky onto a wheat field in Alsace (now
part of France) in 1492 is one of the earliest instances of a meteorite fall
on record. Maximillian I, who was proclaimed Holy Roman emperor soon
afterward, assembled his council to determine the significance of this
event; their verdict was that the meteorite was a favorable omen for success
in Maximilian?s wars with France and Turkey. Accordingly, Maximilian
ordered the Ensisheim stone to be placed with an appropriate inscription in
the local parish church. The meteorite was fixed to the wall with iron
crampons to prevent it from wandering at night or departing in the same
violent manner in which it had arrived. It resides in the town of Ensisheim
today, although visitors in the intervening centuries chipped off all but 56
kg (123 pounds) of its original 127-kg mass.

See you at the show!!

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hup?
The Hup? Collection
gmhupe at centurylink.net
www.NaturesVault.net (Online Catalog & Reference Site)
www.LunarRock.com (Online Planetary Meteorite Site)
NaturesVault (Facebook, Pinterest & eBay)
http://www.facebook.com/NaturesVault
http://pinterest.com/NaturesVault
IMCA 3163