[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk Meteorite Sheds Light on Dinosaur Extinction Mystery

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:45:49 -0700

Hi Mike:

That is not what the press release says.

It is still thought that the KT impactor was carbonaceous. There was also
thought, based on being dark and formation age of the BAF (when the parent
body was disrupted), that the BAF was the source of the KT impactor.
However, there is a better spectral match between the Baptistina Asteroid
Family members and the shocked-darkened material seen in the Chelyabinsk
meteorites than there is between these members and carbonaceous
meteorites. This implies that the BAF members are shock-darkened and not
carbonaceous.

Larry