[meteorite-list] Comet Shoemake-Levy 9 20th Anniversary

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:41:12 -0700 (PDT)

Twenty years ago today, the first fragment of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 (SL9) impacted
Jupiter. The remaining 20 fragments of the comet proceeded to hit Jupiter over
the following 6 days. I had created a Comet SL9 website in June 1994, and ended up posting
over 1,000 impact images to the site. Back then, websites were relatively unknown and
somewhat of a novelty. The Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts became the first big
Web event, and was key in raising the awareness of websites to the mainstream
public, which we now take for granted today.

My Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 website is still around.

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9

Ron Baalke