[meteorite-list] Ad: North American meteorite - San Bernardino Wash (L5)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:06:07 -0800 (PST)

Yes Jason,
I agree, they definitely look different.
But what has me puzzled is something that is not all that apparent in our images.? The exterior of our two stones.
Your stone has a very well-preserved exterior (even though your interior is a uniformly-colored W3), whereas,
my exterior (which is not visible in the image) is gone, actually eroded. Yet somehow, my stone's interior
is less weathered than your stone (my stone was classified as "W1").?
I wonder, if the interior of my stone were to weather to a "W3", just how much it would look like your stone?

But, to directly answer your question, I would have to refer you to my latest Meteorite-Times article:?
http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2014/jan14.htm
for my description of how a cluster of obviously-paired fragments found at SBW had such a variation in "looks",
that it prompted me to sample a number of them and to actually have two of those fragments classified.
For your convenience, I'll show them here:?

Pinto Mountains -- ??? (L6 S3 W1 Fa23.8+/-0.3% n=16; low-Ca pyroxene Fs20.3Wo1.5 n=17)-- 1955 stone
San Bernardino Wash -- (L5 S2 W3 Fa24.6+/-0.6% (n=7) -- (UCLA type-specimen) -- 2010 stone
San Bernardino Wash -- (L5 S1 W3 Fa24.0+/-0.2% (n=24) ?????????????????????? -- 2012A fragment
San Bernardino Wash -- (L5 S2 W1 Fa23.8+/-0.4% (n=14) ?????????????????????? -- 2012B fragment

This just might be a case of (very) micro-environments acting immediate to where each fragment is found, that is causing all of these differences.

I'm open to any and all other explanations,
Bob V. ?

Hello Bob, All,