[meteorite-list] Katol is an L6 - don't tell anyone!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 18:07:22 -0500

Katol is a prime example of why people should avoid self-pairings and
hand-classifications. One (or a dozen) hand samples may not tell the
whole story, and even experienced eyes can be fooled.

For all appearances, Katol may have looked like an OC, an achondrite,
an iron, a stony-iron, or a slag.

Anyone selling specimens from an unclassified fall should ensure that
their descriptions are taken as opinion only, and not authoritative.

Personally, I thought Katol would be an achondrite, based on the
appearance of the early specimens I received. Months later, I heard a
rumor from an informed source that it was an achondrite and possibly a
planetary. Then, more months passed and I heard from another source
that it was an OC. Then I heard it was an L, possibly an L7. Then
GSI publishes a paper claiming it was an H5. Now the official
classification is released as L6.

I will be revising my description of it on the website very soon, and
I will also update the Recent Falls page to reflection the official
classification.

Best regards and Happy Huntings,

MikeG
--