[meteorite-list] Detained at LAX for Esquel

From: J Sinclair <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:33:55 -0500

Hi Mike,

Sounds to me like the issue with the federal agents from both
countries is that you imported meteorites on Dec. 10, 2014 to the US
that originated from Argentina. Their concern is that you brought
Argentine meteorites into the US from Asia / Europe based on the
import / export laws of 2014. Many countries have agreements with the
US to look out for "national treasures" coming into our country. Since
you are moving them around internationally, you are falling under the
laws in place today. Their concern is not when they first left
Argentina, just that you (re) imported them yesterday.

Not that I support or agree with the confiscation of your meteorites.

You are giving us all a lesson on on what will happen based on the
laws in place today. Fossils have been a recent focus too. Some are
being charged with smuggling and landing in jail because of current
laws.

John