[meteorite-list] Meteorite falls, NEXRAD changes and recovery rates

From: Matson, Rob D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:54:09 +0000

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the shout-out regarding meteorite recovery via all-sky camera triangulation and
Doppler radar. I have some bad news as far as the radar angle that I thought I would share,
which may help explain some of the recent downturn in meteorite recovery rates -- at
least in the U.S.

Sometime in the last year or two, many (possibly most?) NEXRAD radar sites changed
their operating modes to support dual polarization. Some have argued that this would
not result in a loss of sensitivity, but only an improvement in differentiating weather
phenomena from other "noise" features (e.g. birds, bats, bugs, meteorites, ground return).
But from a "meteorite-to-be" detection perspective, Marc Fries and I would much prefer
that no filtering of the radar data take place: we WANT to see all that noise. Unfortunately,
the level-2 data that is provided by NOAA has clearly undergone some degree of
processing, and the combination of the change in operating mode coupled with that
processing has resulted in a definite loss of sensitivity to the very phenomenology that
interests us (but is of little interest to meteorologists, in spite of their name. ;-)

Marc tells me that the sensitivity appears to have dropped by 3 dbZ, which may not
sound like a lot, but it's a 50% power drop off. If you revisit some old falls, and cut their
radar signatures in half, they become much more difficult to recognize. For instance,
Marc went back and looked at Ash Creek (West, TX) and said that a 50% drop in the
sensitivity would have removed 90% of the radar returns.

Knowing this, it goes a long way toward explaining why none of the seemingly
spectacular bolides of the last year have had "in your face" radar returns -- to include
this most recent falls in southeast Virginia and on the northern Alabama/Georgia
border. Both of these were almost certainly meteorite-producing events, and yet
I worry that folks have become so dependent on radar data that when it isn't
forthcoming it means it's not worth pursuing. Hopefully this message will make clear
that the old school approaches based purely on optical triangulation are still very
valid, and with or without corroborative radar are worth chasing.

For our part, recognition of the radar operating mode change has alerted Marc
and me to lower our thresholds and look for noise-floor-level returns that
spatially correlate with fall locations determined by optical means. --Rob