[meteorite-list] Hunting for Georgia tektites

From: J Sinclair <john_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 10:47:16 -0400

Hi List,

I've been thinking about areas to hunt for meteorites and since I'm on
the southeast coast of the US, my choices are limited.

My focus has shifted to hunting for Georgiaites.

The map of the tektite strewnfield has grown over the years to include
a couple of counties in South Carolina. The Georgia counties where the
most have been found is Dodge and Bleckley in the central part of the
state. Are those counties still the best areas to hunt?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on good areas to hunt now that
the strewnfield has been enlarged? What type of terrain should I look
for? Would creek banks be good?

I've got Hal Povenmire's Tektite book from 1997 and I found a recent
phone number for him but that number isn't in service.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'm open to join with other
hunters if anyone is interested.

John