[meteorite-list] HUGE Meteor Sighting in Cottonwood AZ - Stats from fall

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:22:02 -0600

The majority that produce _falls_, yes, but not _finds_, I think. That
is, your typical find (either a single individual or several pieces)
probably didn't come from a spectacular meteor event. Of course, finds
in large strewn fields are a different matter.

Atmospheric entry models demonstrate that it's not difficult for a small
body to drop a few rocks on the ground without ever depositing the sort
of energy into the atmosphere we associate with bright fireballs lasting
several seconds and producing audible acoustics at ground level.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com