[meteorite-list] petrological type

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 12:39:51 -0700

Important meteorites should be well described and a lot of info should be
available in the detailed characterization. For now, most people are
comfortable with just the group/type designation with all other measured
parameters and interpretations being left for the detailed description. You
can rest assured that not every researcher would agree that Semarkona has
been aqueously altered to an extent equivalent to a 2.8 especially since
such a scale for ordinary chondrites is currently undefined. What is needed
is the demonstration that ordinary chondrites have been aqueously altered to
different extents, the numerical breakdown into different degrees of
alteration and an unambiguous definition of what each stage designates. No
one has done this and it would be hard. What we have now a number of
observations: e.g., (a) the Semarkona matrix contains some smectite, (b) the
opaque phases in the Semarkona matrix generally lack kamacite and instead
consist mainly of carbide, Ni-rich metal, pentlandite, troilite and
magnetite, (c) many type-3 OC contain RP and C chondrules that have bleached
rims reflecting aqueous alteration, (d) hydration of glass in some Semarkona
chondrules, and (e) alteration of some chondrule mesostasis regions. Other
type-3 OC are more poorly studied than Semarkona and we are quite far from
creating a comprehensive alteration scheme.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567