[meteorite-list] petrological type

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 17:37:50 -0700 (PDT)

On a related topic, seems like the weathering scale could use some adjustment as well. Meteorites classified as W0 can vary widely from a freshly fallen stone like Chelyabinsk to one that has seen lots of weather changes like Indian Butte. One could argue that a W0 associated with an observed fall would certainly give the extra information needed to classify something as a fresh fall. However, for falls whose material is collected years after they were observed to fall like Pultusk or even after the snow melts like Chelyabinsk, should no longer be classified as fresh.

What if meteorites were classified as F0 if they were collected within the first month, F1 if found within the first year, and W0 for ones collected after a year? Yes, there is the issue of updating the existing listings on the metbull, but for the collectors market maybe to start, would this be acceptable??

I am not suggesting this idea is completely baked so your feedback is important, but I would like to start using something like this myself, just do not want to do it without the support of the community as a whole.

Mendy Ouzillou