[meteorite-list] Fake Norway Rock

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <dorifry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:08:46 -0400 (EDT)

Mark,

LOL! I still love dowsing even if it is caused by unconscious ideomotor responses. The pseudosciences are a lot of fun. And yes, you're right, name calling is not right. I apologize for that.

As we all very well know, the burden of proof is the responsibility of those making the outrageous claim. In this case, ridiculously outrageous. They have absolutely no proof whatsoever of any kind that this is a meteoroid. Just a video of a rock popping out of a deploying parachute. As experienced skydivers, they have to know this is a fairly common occurrence. I've heard on skydiving forums this is more common than you'd think, especially when you do the preliminary packing on the ground outside. The most commonly picked up foreign objects seems to be rocks. A few skydivers claim to have seen videos just like this one.

This is starting to look more and more like an elaborate advertising campaign. One of the first "experts" consulted was Morten Bilet, a meteorite dealer with obvious vested interests. (http://www.geotop.no/storefront.php?c1=601) Pal Brekke, an expert on the sun was also consulted. I can find nothing about his expertise in meteoritics. Not even a reference on Google. Hans Amundsen is the most qualified, but is not an expert on the physics of meteoroid impacts. Where are the University professors and scientists who specialize in this sort of thing? Why weren't they consulted two years ago?

Here's what Steinar Midtskogen, a part of the skydiving team has to say:

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/extreme-sports/mysterious-object-in-skydiving-video-identified-140410.htm

So, everybody gets a ton of free publicity, 15 minutes of fame. (Their time is almost up) The Norwegian gov't gets a free commercial to get their brand out there. They heavily promoted the media event on gov't owned television. I'm sure Morten's meteorite sales are sky high, so it's a win, win for the whole crew.

Phil Whitmer

Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum