[meteorite-list] Fake Norway Rock

From: Greg Crinklaw <crinklaw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:40:15 -0600

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker here for some time. By way of
introduction, I'm an astronomer with an interest in geology and
meteorites. I have met a few of you in person and purchased meteorites
for my small collection from some of you. I've also done some hunting
here in southern New Mexico.

I should probably just keep my keyboard shut, because when I start
typing, trouble often follows. :-) But I have been reading this
discussion about the Norway video from the beginning, and I feel
compelled to support what Chris has said.

As Chris said, there was nothing inherent in the video to make it appear
to be a hoax. This is what made it interesting and what made it stand
out from the hoaxes you see on Youtube. It was far too easy to simply
dismiss it without investigating the circumstances and the people
involved. Those who did dismiss it should not feel vindicated by the
result, for they contributed nothing to it.

In fact, the dismissals seen here of the video without first looking
into its details were just as wrong as accepting everything on Youtube
to be true. If you don't do the work before you come to a conclusion,
then it matters not if you are being naive or cynical. If the truth is
what you are interested in, there is only one way to know it; you have
to do the hard work and investigation *before* coming to a conclusion.

Now that others have done that work, and the true nature of the object
has likely been exposed, it is not fair for some to claim that they knew
all along it was a fake and to suggest that the people who made an
effort to understand the video were somehow duped. That's just plain
backwards.

Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw