[meteorite-list] is it a meteorite

From: Peter Scherff <PeterScherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 07:18:18 -0400

Hi,
        According to Alan E. Rubin & Jeffrey N. Grossman: "A meteorite is a
natural, solid object larger than 10 ?m in size, derived from a celestial
body, that was transported by natural means from the body on which it formed
to a region outside the dominant gravitational influence of that body and
that later collided with a natural or artificial body larger than itself
(even if it was the same body from which it was launched)." Using that
definition I would say that your rock should be called a meteorite. I also
think that a cool name for a new class of meteorites would need to be
created. I just hope that we could have that class created before 5 examples
of it were recognized.

Thanks,

Peter