[meteorite-list] LOVINA

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 00:20:27 -0400

Hi Paul,

Sounds like an interesting vacation.

On February 14th I posted detailed correspondence to the list concerning the publication of what was then an upcoming LPSC abstract on Lovina which I had instigated with Qingzhu Yin of University of California Davis. Here is the link: http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2014/pdf/1434.pdf

It now seems clear Lovina is terrestrial. At the same time, in the words of several meteoriticists, Lovina is far more rare than a typical iron meteorite." Given that its elemental signature?including elemental ratios?so closely approximates that of an iron meteorite, Lovina is a fascinating link between the terrestrial and extraterrestrial. In addition, given its ziggurat (pyramidal) structure, Lovina is the single finest specimen of awaruite known, and your dad would do quite should he find more.

All the best / Darryl