[meteorite-list] Proud Tom, an Ambassador?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 18:55:40 -0400

I've seen some of the so-called Proud Tom material. A small minority
of it was mildly amusing. A good majority of it was not funny at all.
 Another small minority of it was offensive.

After examining it, one thing was clear - Proud Tom did not like
certain people and his treatment of them was offensive. Matteo and
Anne were the target of crude and childish attacks. Others were
treated with "kid gloves" by Tom.

If the offensive attacks on certain people are removed, the overall
impression is more good-natured, albeit not well written.

There is nothing wrong with humor or satire. I enjoy a good ribbing
from time to time, as long as it is good-natured and intelligent.
(something I have admittedly been on both sides of in the past). I
learned my lesson and try to be more considerate when I am poking fun
or venting frustration. Perhaps Proud Tom (whoever he really is) grew
tired of the schtick and put that persona behind him. Frankly, I hope
it stays that way. I agree with some sentiments here that the
Met-List should have a higher standard of content than alluding to
oral sex and pasting rodent heads onto human bodies as a method of
launching personal attacks under the guise of satire. The Met-List is
not a Dean Martin Roast - or at least, I hope it's not. It's not my
decision, but that's my two quaatloos.

I also regret that we do not see more women contributing on the List.
A couple of years ago, on April's Fools (no less), I offended Regine
Peterson. I felt bad, and I apologized. She recently posted a great
link to the Indian Coffee Table book from GSI. I really liked that
link and I am glad she posted it. It is valuable to the overall
health of the List that people not be offended by off-topic,
offensive, childish behavior.

Satire = good.

Juvenile bathroom-stall graffiti = bad.

Best regards and back to the regularly scheduled programming,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone