[meteorite-list] Germany Swiss France Meteor 31MAR2014

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 23:23:47 -0600

Wikipedia is generally one of the best sources for scientific information, especially as a first stop. And the article about meteors is no exception. While the color of meteors (especially in the case of green) is generally dominated by atmospheric emission, the meteoroid composition certainly plays a role as well. This makes meteor spectra very useful. But human color vision being what it is (our eyes being very poor spectrometers), it isn't possible to accurately determine meteoroid composition visually.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com