[meteorite-list] Alcohol + water + NaOH

From: Michael Mulgrew <mikestang_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:01:20 -0700

I'm not at all familiar with what you are trying to accomplish by
soaking an iron in a basic solution of sodium hydroxide for a week,
but it sure doesn't sound like a good idea. The best thing to do to
prevent rust is to vacuum seal it in a glass container. Also, if you
must handle it, wear cotton gloves.

Michael in so. Cal.