[meteorite-list] Different colors of meteors/shooting stars

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:19:08 -0600

There may be some atmospheric effects, but I don't think they are the
usual explanation for the different colors people report.

Color vision is highly variable from person to person. The same color
may be reported as pink, blue, or green by different people. This is
especially true when dealing with point sources, or with transient
effects. People are not good at judging the color of flashes. Some
people see a lot of color in stars, others will call you crazy if you
tell them that stars even have colors.

After white, green is the most commonly reported color for meteors. As
Marco pointed out, that is typically from atmospheric oxygen. But it is
worth remembering that green also marks the peak of human color
sensitivity, and even if fairly strong wavelengths outside the green
region are present, the event may only be bright enough to stimulate our
green receptors. This is an effect visual astronomers are well aware of:
when you look at something like the Orion Nebula, most people see gray.
A few, with good vision, will see faint green. That's an oxygen
emission, which is much fainter that the dominant red hydrogen emission,
but that one simply doesn't stimulate our red sensors enough to show
color. So we see a "red" nebula as "green".

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com