[meteorite-list] Different colors of meteors/shooting stars

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:07:46 -0600

Hi Jim-

As a rule, you can't tell much about a meteor's composition from the
visual colors observed. The eye is a lousy spectrometer!

The optical output of a meteor consists of hundreds of component
emission lines, possibly a blackbody component in some cases, and some
strong atmospheric emission lines. The visual effect is something close
to white, sometimes with a color cast provided mainly by atmospheric
ionization. While there are a handful of strong emission lines commonly
observed in spectra, these are very narrow and therefore represent only
a small part of the total luminous energy, which means they don't have
much effect on the color ("color" being a physiological phenomenon, not
a physical one).

This isn't to say there might not be some cases where meteoroid
composition is reflected in the color, but you can't make any
generalizations.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory