[meteorite-list] Dirk Ross / San Luis Potosi (non)-meteor?

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 13:53:09 -0700

Hi Count,

I absolutely concur that Dirk's efforts seem to be appreciated by many,
but publicly acknowledged by few. So let me go on record thanking Dirk
for his tireless efforts -- more often than not, he is the first to
report on a new potential meteorite-dropping event, and his site is
a must-visit for seeing early videos.

Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that the San Luis Potosi videos
are an elaborate hoax, as the meteor cannot be confirmed using one
of my reliable sources. There was no bright meteor over central
Mexico at any time from 4 pm to 6 pm local time (CDT) on 21 August,
which corresponds to 21:00-23:00 UT.

Apparently I'm not the only one of this opinion. Dirk forwarded me
the following link that he received from someone who has picked
apart the four videos. You can judge for yourself, but I think he/she
has found some subtle "glitches" and oversights that call into
question their validity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F7ySYpB1RM&feature=youtu.be

I am also bothered by the mismatch between the reported time of the
fall (~5:25 pm) and the sun's elevation angle -- particularly in
the church video. The sun appears to be very high in the sky for
so late in the day. And where are all the witness reports, or
stories in Mexican newspapers?

Finally, two of the videos are too "lucky", in the sense that they
just happened to be recording something rather un-video-worthy (some
random train from a car, and a poorly framed church tower) and
the meteor magically appears.

What do you all think? --Rob