[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk strewnfield map and trajectory projection - updated final version

From: Meteorite-Recon.com <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:06:39 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

An updated and final version of the Chelyabinsk strewnfield map and trajectory
ground projection is now available at:

http://www.meteorite-recon.com/img_inventar/Chelyabinsk_strewnfield_map_7500.jpg

For background information see:

http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/Meteorite_Chelyabinsk_6.html

In March our calculations gave a window of 200 ? 800 kg for the Lake Chebarkul
fragment. Our scenario and the resulting map used a conservative value of 300 kg
for this mass. Now, after its successful recovery, the determination of its
approximate mass (~ 600 kg) enabled us to narrow a few parameters of the
trajectory and dark flight. The resulting minor changes in the final map are
listed below:

- The transverse displacement of the calculated wind shift discounted
impact point for the lake mass is reduced from 1.100 m to 950 m.
- As a result, the trajectory is slightly displaced to the south, albeit
with the map scale used, the change is of no consequence for the depiction
- Impact velocity for the lake mass is ~ 550 km/h instead of ~ 500 km/h
- The altitude at which the transition into dark flight occurred is ~ 14
km instead of 14.7 km

In addition to these changes, within the last two months a total of 34 masses
with documented find locations were submitted and successively added to the map.
These recently discovered masses range from 0.5 g to 1,440 g. The final version
of the strewnfield map now shows 285 find locations of Chelyabinsk meteorites,
of which 228 were submitted with their respective weights.

Karl and I would like to thank all contributors.

Cheers

Svend

www.meteorite-recon.com