[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk trajectory modeling -- how welldid we do? Part 1 of 2

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:02:38 -0400

Hi Jeff, Mendy and List,

Jeff is obviously the voice of the Bulletin here, but here is
something for collectors and dealers to consider....

The Bulletin is not designed or intended for collectors and dealers.
It is for science. As laymen (advanced or not), we are privileged to
have free and open access to it. This is very generous of the
Meteoritical Society, because they could easily gate it off and
require a password to access it. This would prevent issues like the
recent crash brought on by a high-traffic Facebook post. But it would
also deny the general public a very useful resource.

TKW is a number that is constantly in a state of flux as recoveries
are made over time, and it is a number that is very difficult to
verify on an authoritative level. This is especially true with
showers that produce large numbers of meteorites on the ground, i.e.
Chelyabinsk.

Petrologic type, composition, O-isotope, and other analytical data can
be reproduced independently. TKW information is harder to verify and
involves more of the honor system to varying degrees.

For example, I have kept a running total of the Sutter's Mill TKW
since the day after the fall. And I consider my number to be very
accurate to the best of my ability to collect and verify this
information. The vast majority was gathered via email reports and a
minority via telephone calls. None of this information was collected
by me first-hand in the field. So, if asked how authoritative my TKW
might be, I cannot answer with any level of certainty that would be
required for scientific use. Some fruitloop could lie to me or
someone could honestly make a mistake when reporting a find, so who
really knows?

Sutter's Mill Tally page - http://www.galactic-stone.com/pages/lotus

Recent Meteorite Falls page - http://www.galactic-stone.com/pages/falls

I think both of the above resources are quite accurate and are useful
for collectors, dealers, and laymen. But verifying such information
is an ongoing and imperfect process.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

--