[meteorite-list] Should Calvin Crater be recognized as a confirmed Impact Crater?

From: Robert Beauford <robertbeauford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:43:23 -0700 (PDT)

After quite a bit of thought and research, I've demoted Calvin crater, on my impactcraters.us website, to an unconfirmed impact structure.? This contradicts the PASSC listing, and I think that the later should be considered the authoritative source.? Even so, I am responsible for building my listings according to the best reading of the literature that I can accomplish.? I'm posting this specifically to invite argument or disagreement with the decision - or agreement if appropriate.? I cannot find, anywhere in the literature, any reference to unambiguous or current widely accepted indicators of a hypervelocity impact event.? While the morphology is compelling (and this is, in fact, the guts of the past argument for Calvin), there are many structures with compelling morphology - and this is simply not a valid basis for inclusion with out further evidence.? The PASSC database does not typically include such structures.? A partial listing of the
 literature is present on the page, with links to most of the related papers.? http://www.impactcraters.us/unconfirmed_impacts/calvin_michigan? I'd be grateful if folks pointed out other related literature?or challenged/supported my thinking.? In short, I'd like a sanity check.? If it is more convenient to engage the discussion on the facebook group, feel free.? I will follow the question in?both places.? I have cross-posted this question there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/432433606804823/
Thank you, and best regards,
- Robert