[meteorite-list] Sundiving Comet, Juno Photographed

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:33:46 -0700

Hi Ron,

In addition, within minutes of the sun-diving Kreutz comet's closest
approach
to the sun, a large coronal mass ejection (CME) erupted from the sun's
southern
hemisphere in what appears to be about the same direction from which the
comet
came.

Solar scientists have pretty much put to rest the notion that there is
any
mechanism by which one of these tiny sungrazing comets could trigger a
CME.
That said, you would have to agree that the location and timing (CME
starts
at around 15:36 UT on 10 October as seen in the narrow LASCO C2 field of
view) of this latest CME relative to the comet's perihelion is pretty
coincidental.

Two years ago I carried out a statistical analysis of all Kreutz comets
in 2009 (the last year for which sungrazing comet perihelion date
information
was available at that time) against all the CMEs from that year. Here's
what
I found:

# of comets: 142
# of CMEs: 746
Average time between CMEs: 11.71 hours

Of the 142 comets, 57 (40%) had perihelions within +/- 3 hours of a CME,
which is not statistically significant. 26 comets (18%) had perihelions
within +/- 1 hour of a CME -- about what one would expect from random
chance. However, 17 comets (12%) had perihelions within +/- 30 minutes
of a CME. This ~is~ about 5 more comets than one would expect from
chance, but it could still just be a random fluke given the small sample
size. But events like today's do rekindle my interest in trying to
prove one way or the other whether these recurring correlations go
beyond mathematical chance.

--Rob