[meteorite-list] Exploring the Solar System in Antarctica (NWA vs Antarctica)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:22:40 -0700 (PDT)

Carl Stated " For lunars though, at least for the foreseeable future, there will never be a contest for dominance because of the 390 kg of Moon rocks from Apollo, which will be the gold standard until we return to the Moon."

I agree that the Apollo returned Moon rocks are a national treasure.? One of the highlights of my life was seeing some of these specimens for myself up close and personal in the Lunar Receiving Laboratory (Vault) at the NASA facility at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center where this precious material is stored.

Where lunar finds contribute to science is that many have come from unsampled parts of the Moon.? There are a few unique Lunaite examples that provide additional understanding of our nearest celestial neighbor.?? I was pleased to see a poster of NWA 5000 on the wall right across the hall from the NASA Moon rock vault.? This tells me that the researches are sample oriented and where a Moon rock comes from is secondary.

This enhances data acquisition instead of competing against it.?

Adam