[meteorite-list] Bright Lights in Sky Over Australia Remains A Mystery

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 21:12:06 -0800 (PST)

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/night-display-still-a-mystery/2099578/

Bright lights in sky on Wednesday night remains a mystery
Christine Mckee
The Morning Bulletin (Australia)
November 29, 2013

WAS it a meteor, a comet, space junk or the start of the alien invasion?

After a day of speculation and conflicting suggestions, there is still
no conclusive answer to what lit up the sky on Wednesday night.

Reports of the spectacular vision flowed in from Moranbah to Brisbane.

Thozet Rd resident, Trevor Brunskill was sitting on his veranda when a
light in his peripheral vision caught his attention.

"At first I thought it was the reflection from car lights," he said.

"Then I thought, hang on a second I think it's a meteorite, and I called
out to the missus.

"It was visually spectacular. I've never seen anything like it.

"It was very beautiful, and as a big boofy bloke, it takes a lot for me
to say that??? but it was beautiful."

Mr Brunskill described the vision as a small, glowing ball with a very
long tail.

He said there were 10-12 smaller objects off the tail.

"It lasted at least a minute, about the speed of a light aircraft and
completely silent."

Mark Rigby, curator at Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium said although he
couldn't say definitively what it was, the vision was more likely to be
a natural object than space junk.

Based on witness reports, including Mr Brunskill's, he said it was most
likely a small asteroid breaking up.

"Comet Ison, definitely had nothing to do with it," he said.

"And reports from Canada could not possibly have been the same object."

One thing Mr Rigby was able to determine, was that central Queensland
had the best view.