[meteorite-list] Florida Boy Allegedly Hit By Meteorite

From: Kelly Beatty <jkellybeatty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:44:32 -0500

hi, Ron...

just FYI, I have had a couple of email exchanges with the "researchers" at
Florida Atlantic University who examined the fragments; it's actually the guy
who runs the school's observatory. all he concluded was that the fragments were
slightly magnetic. I've seen no indication that the family is having the
fragments tested further (though I haven't tried to contact them).

further, the FAU guy estimates that the fragments total about 1 gram. with the
total mass was so low, there's no way those fragments - even intact - could
have caused such a gash. one thing that I took away from the KPEC video was
that the boy suffered a (linear) cut, with no surrounding bruising.
inconsistent with being conked by a single small rock.

also, the presumption is that the rock fragmented when it hit his skull - but
there are no signs of fresh rock surfaces. according to my FAU source, they
weren't simply bits of rusted iron. some appear to have small bright
nonmetallic inclusions in a dark, reddish interior.

*maybe* there's a larger fragment lying around somewhere in the yard. but I
doubt it. more likely little Stevie bonked his head on something and didn't
'fess up to Dad.

clear skies,
Kelly

J. Kelly Beatty