[meteorite-list] grains of sand

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 13:15:22 +0100

>Where did this (factoid)
>originate...

Hi Paul,

Historically, I suppose, most likely from Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel and
Giovanni Schiaparelli.
Bessel published in 1836 a theory on the physical nature of comets,
postulating that their tails must consist of dust,
expelled from the comet and driven away by a repulsive force by the sun;
and Schiaparelli established in 1867 in his "Note e riflessioni intorno alla
teoria astronomica delle stelle cadenti"
the connection between four annual meteor streams and four comets, in
demonstrating that they share the same orbits.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----