[meteorite-list] First Study of Chelyabinsk Meteorite

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:00:09 -0700

Jeff-

For comparison, S-A was a 100 ton body traveling at 14 km/s, and its
energy output was about 10 kT. Chelyabinsk was a 10,000 ton body
traveling at 30 km/s, and its energy output was about 500 kT. So these
two events were in completely different classes. Had S-A been stony, no
material would have arrived at the ground above terminal velocity, and
we'd treat it as a much more ordinary event. Nothing like a few craters
to make a fall seem much more energetic than it actually was.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com